Bundler is using a binstub that was created for a different gem?

Situation:

I used the “init” command to start a new project. This initiated a Middleman v4 project - my previous Middleman websites are all running on Middleman v3.4.1.

A site I’m working on uses Middleman 3.4.1 and middleman-php v0.0.3 (among other gems). I’ve tried updating it to Middleman v4 but that doesn’t seem to play nice with middleman-php…

Issue:

I put back the Middleman v3.4.1 gem, started the Middleman server, and everything still works. But… right before the “The Middleman is loading” line in my terminal, it now says:

Bundler is using a binstub that was created for a different gem.
This is deprecated, in future versions you may need to `bundle binstub middleman-cli` to work around a system/bundle conflict.
== The Middleman is loading
== livereload already activated.
(etc.)

When I run

bundle binstub middleman-cli

I get the following:

Could not find gem 'middleman-cli'.
Did you mean middleman-php?

And when I run

bundle binstub middleman-php

I get:

middleman-php has no executables, but you may want one from a gem it depends on.
middleman-core has: middleman

I’ve absolutely no idea what to do with this. Everything still works, so it isn’t a very serious matter, but it annoys me :-/

I have exactly the same problem and I just can’t find the solution.

With bundle exec middleman s, the server launches normally, but I’m not comfortable getting that warning.

Still no idea what caused the conflict, but I’ve removed Ruby 2.3.0 today (I’m using RVM instead of system Ruby) and installed Ruby 2.3.1.

Initiated a clean install of Middleman 3.4.1.

What should work is removing all Middleman instances (I had four versions of Middleman, two versions of middleman-cli and -core and three of middleman-blog installed) and then clean installing Middleman via

gem install middleman --version 3.4.1

Of course Middleman v4(.1.7) should be stable enough, but in my case it conflicted with both middleman-php and -deploy so much that I’m glad I managed to switch back to Middleman 3.4.1. No more error messages…