Upgrading to v4

The short question is:

How would I made v4 output *.md files as *.html without renaming the source file *.html.md?

I’ve been playing around with the v4 release as I’ve been thinking about moving a project. Currently I have a good amount of content in the form of topic/somefile.md, with v3 this would render somefile.md to somefile.html. Now with v4 the only way I’ve been able to get this to work has been renaming the file to somefile.html.md. What would the idea approach be to keep my current scheme with v4?

I run into the same problem too.

Is it by design that a working V3 project could simply become broken if built under Middleman V4? If so it is a big fail.

And why is it necessary to define the conversion pipeline in every filename anyway? What happen to DRY principle

1 Like

This is killing me, too. I have folders full of .md files that are, in fact, only Markdown. They only become HTML thanks to the layouts, which could just as well make them PDF, etc.

So why do I have to rename them *.md.html to end up with *.html filenames? :frowning:

Anyone else happening upon this thread: see also the commentary on issue #1211 and another thread here