Build process copies css files from source/fonts folder to build/css

I’m considering an upgrade of my blog project from MM 3.3.3 to 3.3.5. I started by checking out a fresh working copy from my repo, changing bundler config to a fresh gemset with 3.3.5 (in .versions.conf and Gemfile), then bundle install and middleman build to see if anything changes in the compiled site.
And it did change. One of the change is expected behaviour (Sass 3.4 stopped to change hex-colors to named colors), but the other is unexpected, perhaps. Build process in 3.3.5 started to copy .css files from my source/fonts folder to build/css. I googled around but found nothing on this.
My source/fonts folder contains some css files, which come from the font vendor. Some of them are @imported to my project’s SCSS main file, so clearly they should not be copied to the build/css folder, right?

@import '../fonts/novocento_sans_wide.css';

In MM 3.3.3 they were not copied to the build/css folder, only to the build/fonts, which is OK. Is this some new Sprockets/Sass behaviour or bug? @tdreyno, could you please take a look? Thanks!

You are correct, this is new (and somewhat unintended) behavior from the latest releases of middleman-sprockets.

The goal was to provide sane import rules from external asset packages (bower/npm packages with css/fonts/js), but it has caused a regression with regular content in source.

I’d suggest continuing to upgrade Middleman, but keeping middleman-sprockets locked to whatever your current Gemfile.lock is using. We’re working on fixing this regression.