Is this a correct assumption on how Middleman is installed?

1. Firstly, you should install gem install middleman on your home
    directory ~/. (And because I am using rbenv I believe its saving
    them in there).
  2. Then you should simply navigate to an area where you’d like to keep
    all your projects. In my case it’s my Sites' and use middleman init MY_PROJECT`

Is there something I am missing? I am asking because I am getting a lot of errors. Also, you’re not supposed install gem install middleman in every new directory, right?

Thanks!

That’s my general approach, although I’m using rvm instead of rbenv. What sort of errors are you seeing?

One thing to note: if you are starting a new site from a template or by cloning a repo, you’ll want to cd into the directory and then run

bundle install

to make sure that all your dependencies are present. Depending on what’s present in the gemfile, each middleman site can have different requirements. Bundler’s job is to track the exact gems (and versions) that your app needs to run. (You may need to grab bundler if you don’t already have it installed.)

http://bundler.io/

Well one was the port error which you solved, thanks btw! And the other was regarding a permissions error. It basically spat out a path to what appeared to be a version of ruby, and saying I couldn’t save there?

I tried to find the error in my search error, but couldn’t find it!

It appears everything is working now! Thanks!

One thing have you ever ran into this error?

Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/specification.rb:2064:in `raise_if_conflicts': Unable to activate middleman-livereload-3.2.1, because multi_json-1.9.2 conflicts with multi_json (~> 1.8.4) (Gem::LoadError)
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/specification.rb:1262:in `activate'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems.rb:196:in `rescue in try_activate'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems.rb:193:in `try_activate'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:132:in `rescue in require'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:144:in `require'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/middleman-core-3.2.2/lib/middleman-core/extensions.rb:71:in `block in load_extensions_in_path'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/middleman-core-3.2.2/lib/middleman-core/extensions.rb:70:in `each'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/middleman-core-3.2.2/lib/middleman-core/extensions.rb:70:in `load_extensions_in_path'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/middleman-core-3.2.2/lib/middleman-core/load_paths.rb:40:in `setup_load_paths'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/middleman-core-3.2.2/bin/middleman:10:in `<top (required)>'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/bin/middleman:23:in `load'
from /Users/avonproducts/.rbenv/versions/2.1.1/bin/middleman:23:in `<main>'

I have indeed. If you look at

multi_json-1.9.2 conflicts with multi_json (~> 1.8.4)

You’ll notice that it’s asking for a specific version of mult_json, and the version retrieved is higher. Here’s how someone else explains it:

middleman-livereload has the following version specification for the multi_json dependency: ~> 1.8.4. This means “accept any version between 1.8.4 and 1.8.99999”. In other words, middleman-livereload claims itself to be incompatible with multi_json 1.9.0.

You’ll also notice that it’s middleman livereload that’s the culprit. However, there’s a new version of middleman-livereload hot off the presses. I’ve noticed that one thing they’ve done is remove the multi_json dependency all together. You might try modifying your gem file to require the 3.3.0 of livereload.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and here’s how you would do that. Open the file [siteroot]/gemfile in a text editor.

modify these two lines to be the following numbers:

gem "middleman", "~>3.2"
gem "middleman-livereload", "~>3.3.0"

Then run

bundle install

That should do the trick.

Thanks again for the help! I went on the advice of a friend and switched to rvm
Things seem to be working a bit better!