Middleman Newbie; a good reference guide

I’ve started playing around with Middleman out of one part boredom, one part learning exercise, one part looking to make a change. So far the learning part has squashed the boredom. However, I can only take myself so far before having questions.

I am trying to make everything as modular as I can and coming from a Jekyll background, so most of the “work” is taking place in the templates. I just learned about content_for helper(?) today and still trying wrap my mind around the best way to collect various data points an that a page/post/article may contain I would want to use on an outer layer of a nested template.

I know with the topic title I chose I’m asking for the typical trolling internet response pointing me to the quick start guide, the source code, or “that sounds like a fantastic idea, glad you volunteered” response. Based on what I have seen here the chances of that happening are slim.

So here I am wondering where can I learn more on how to use Middleman, especially when I feel lost? Google, isn’t always my friend searching for answers to some of the questions I’ve had. What exactly is padrino (yes I’ve skimmed over the site) and how is it useful to better learning how to use/deploy Middleman… it seems the power of Middleman comes from padrino yet the two are not the same.

Hello @mitchejj

I think the best way to learn how to code is to inspect some code on github
Here is my last side project

I craft almost everything with middleman and i am more skilled with experimentation & reading the official documentation :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ve been looking at a few github repos to help figure what ‘data’ is available and more importantly the methods I can use to get a hold of the the data in the templates.

I’ve been able able figure somethings out, and had a few ah-ha moments which sent me back to redo more than a few things… of course that is the fun part.