Documentation error, concerning location of layout files?

I’m new to Middleman (MM), and am working on a site migration, from nanoc.

In the documentation, “layouts” page - https://middlemanapp.com/basics/layouts/ - there is this paragraph:

“The default layout file lives in the source folder and is called “layout” and
has the extension of the templating language you are using. The default is
layout.erb. Any alternate layouts you create should live in source/layouts.”

It’s not clear to me where the default layout file should be, in that text. In the initial default site, it’s in ~/source/layouts/. But that paragraph seems to imply that THAT is the place for layouts OTHER than the default. Yet, a little tinkering with the default site clearly shows me that that is also where the default layout is expected to be.

I find the documentation confusing in its lack of clarity (which is a distinct exception to the rest of the documentation I’ve read, which is clear to me and very helpful!)

I don’t need a response to this in order to continue my site migration, but I thought perhaps someone might want to clarify the documentation text.

Thanks for a wonderful tool!

I note that this post appears to have been ignored, and the confusion reported in the documentation, reported in my initial post, remains uncorrected. Did I post this issue in the wrong place, or is this sort of post unwelcome? I’m new here, so there is much I have to learn.

Would appreciate any response!

Hi TomCloyd, Middleman community is still growing and unfortunately many post are never responded.

I agree with you, that paragraph is a bit confusing, but I think layouts and assets folders and configuration are going to change in v4. That might be the reason why they are not being edited right now.

Thanks for giving me a bit of a context for interpretation. Being new here I don’t know what to think about many things!