Markdown Issues with Blockquote Element

Having a weird issue and can’t figure out how to fix. The articles in my blog are using standard Markdown syntax. On blockquotes, I use >. But when the html is rendered by Middleman the blockquote is followed by nested paragraph tags. This is creating issues for me because I am using a drop caps css style on the first paragraph tag in my div. I cannot find anything online to help me figure out how to resolve. I’m using Kramdown, but I have also tried Red Carpet and I’m having the same issue. The only way to resolve is to manually use blockquote tags in my article files. Feels like there should be a way to fix this. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Can you put the exact HTML that it is rendering?

And a relevant source fragment, please.

Here’s an example of the markdown in the article file:

> The novelties of the New World provoked new habits of thought in the minds of those liberated from the cages of convention, as Swift wittily pointed out. Men and women became intrigued not just by the unexpected diversity of things in the Western Hemisphere. Through contrast, aspects of their own world now became salient. Where before the intellectual elite had concentrated upon Hebrew texts or Greek epigraphs, increasingly there emerged experts on frog mating habits and the stamen of flowering plants. Such inquiries drew on a different set of talents than those of the linguist and scholar. New questions were reorienting European culture toward natural phenomena all around them.

And here’s how it is being rendered:

<blockquote>
<p>The novelties of the New World provoked new habits of thought in the minds of those liberated from the cages of convention, as Swift wittily pointed out. Men and women became intrigued not just by the unexpected diversity of things in the Western Hemisphere. Through contrast, aspects of their own world now became salient. Where before the intellectual elite had concentrated upon Hebrew texts or Greek epigraphs, increasingly there emerged experts on frog mating habits and the stamen of flowering plants. Such inquiries drew on a different set of talents than those of the linguist and scholar. New questions were reorienting European culture toward natural phenomena all around them.</p>
</blockquote>