Using a gem to supplement the Middleman datastore

Hello Middleman forums!

I just want to preface this by saying I’m new to both Ruby and MM, so if I say anything that sounds wrong or miss-informed, please let me know!

I have a bunch of MM websites which all use the local /data folder to store information in .yml files. Much of this data is the same for every site. What I’d like to do is use a gem, lets call it “mydata” and include it on all my sites. This gem would store a yml file like this: mydata/lib/data/data_file.yml. That way, I could update the yml file in my gem and have it apply to all my sites at once.

I tried this with a site using an older version of MM, and had no issues. It just worked immediately, However, on my upgraded sites using MM 4.1.1, this doesn’t work. Printing out the contents of the datastore shows that it does not see the .yml file in the gem. I was wondering if you have any advice for getting my gem to work with my upgraded sites.

Thanks very much for your input!

Perhaps late here, but the data files in a particular folder are private to a particular project, and you can’t share those files between different instances of MM.

That said, nobody prevent you to create symbolic link to a file, achieving the same.
The only incumbency your end is to remember which is your “master” project.