Which Ruby version?

Which Ruby version do you suggest using with Middleman? I’m using RVM and Bundler, so it’s not a problem to choose several versions for projects and frameworks. Some people tend to stick with 1.9.3, but I see some gems / Middleman extensions start to drop support for 1.9.3. Currently I’m usually using 2.0.0-p598 and migrating older 1.9.3 Middleman projects to this version. But there is already 2.1.5 and even latest/greatest 2.2.0, so should we move on too?

What’s your opinion?

Check the CHANGELOG.md (search for “Ruby”). There you can see when a ruby version is added or dropped.

While you should be able to use any of the versions that Middleman is tested against, I personally try to follow the recommendations made in the Ruby news announcements, e.g.:

• Don’t use 1.9.3:

Support for Ruby 1.9.3 has ended… We highly recommend that you upgrade to Ruby 2.0.0 or above as soon as possible.

• Don’t use 2.0.0 in new projects:

Ruby 2.0.0 goes into the state of the security maintenance… We recommend to start planning to migrate to newer versions of Ruby, such as 2.1 or 2.2.

• Do use 2.2.0 unless you have a specific reason not to:

Try and enjoy programming with Ruby 2.2.0, and report us your findings!

I have checked the latest Travis.yml and it seems that now we can go up to Ruby 2.4.0 and even play around with ruby-head.
This is as far as today 28/04/2017