@import scss problem

Hello,

I’ve been using middleman 3.3.4 on my first app and Foundation (the scss package) has been working fine. However, my newest project is using 3.3.5 and I believe this is the issue causing Foundation @import’s not to load.

If you are familiar with Foundation, then you probably know about the grid feature, and the grid feature is not @import-ing, and I’m sure some of the other files are not importing as well. I was not able to revert back very easily to 3.3.4 due to an error concerning some “breadcrumbs” script, but a copy & paste of my old source files (while conserving my gemfile) on my newest app proves that there is something in the gemfile not working, and I’m sure it’s 3.3.5 because all the other gems are identical to the working app of mine.

I think it would be easiest if I shared my test app from git for anyone kind enough to look into this:
https://github.com/jaketlarson/test-mm

I don’t know what to do.

When testing the app, the grid should kick in and the background color should be black. But you will see that the grid does not kick in and the background is white. Keep in mind this app is thrown together real quick just to test my issue.

Thank you for any help!

Jake

I don’t use Foundation but maybe your problem is similar to mine: Build process copies css files from source/fonts folder to build/css I mean: changes in Sprockets cause your problem too.
As a sidenote, I looked into your source and I wonder if this is necessary to prepend .sass with .css. I use SCSS syntax and my files are like _fonts.scss (without .css prepended).

HI @komor72,

I did see your post before I posted my issue, and I tried to tinker with middleman-sprockets but I was getting conflicts with changing gem versions amount middleman “sub” gems and I’m still trying to revert to a slightly earlier version than the current middleman 3.3.5 to make my application work.

I hope @tdreyno can weigh in on this!

Thanks!

Jake

I was able to figure out how to revert back to 3.3.4 and fix the errors.

Originally I was having issues changing back to 3.3.4 (from 3.3.5, current version) and I was getting these errors:

Users/Jake/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.0/gems/middleman-core-3.3.4/lib/middleman-more/core_extensions/default_helpers.rb:33:in `initialize': uninitialized constant Padrino::Helpers::Breadcrumbs (NameError)

I added to my gemfile gem "padrino-helpers", "0.12.2" and 3.3.4 now works for me.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue I was experiencing. I’m glad I can move along with my project and I hope MiddleMan developers can find a solution to this, if it is in fact an error with the middleman gem.

Hi Jake, please submit a bug report on Github (https://github.com/middleman/middleman/issues). Include your test project.

We just released a new version of middleman-sprockets today which fixed some recent issues.

Sorry, I can’t respond to all the threads on the forums. Bug reports are the quickest way to get a response.

As a sidenote, I looked into your source and I wonder if this is necessary to prepend .sass with .css. I use SCSS syntax and my files are like _fonts.scss (without .css prepended).

@komor72 I don’t believe it’s necessary, and I know with Prepros it will actually cause problems to do it the way I do it (layout.css.sass), but it was kind of a convention I have just been sticking to with MiddleMan. It shouldn’t matter which route you go and I honestly am not sure if there is a “better way”.